Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Prose/Verses Assignment

Assignment: Choose one of three poems and write a paragraph about it and then a poem.

Inspiration Piece: Mother to Son by Langston Hughes
Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it,
And splinters,
And boards torn up,
And places with no carpet on the floor --
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on,
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners,
And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps.
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now --
For I'se still goin', honey,
I'se still climbin',
And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

My prose:

The poem Mother to Son by Langston Hughes is such an inspiring poem to me because of the imagery in the poem as well as the message behind the poem. I love the fact that the poet compares life to a set os stairs. Not only does he use descriptions of what could be on the stairs to trip someone up, but the idea that life is a climb, that can make you tired and out of breath, but moves you upward is awesome. The message behind the poem is very inspirational, too. The mother in the poem tells her son that no matter how difficult life gets -- and it will get very difficult at times -- you can never stop, you can never look back, you have to keep moving upward. I think the poem is one that anyone, regardless of race or social status, can relate to and learn from because of its imagery and message.

My poem:

Always going, always climbing,
Never stop to take a breath.
Keep looking up, keeping moving on.
Don't go back to once was.
It twists, it turns,
There's bumps and burns,
But life continues,
so climb, honey, climb.
Reaching upward, getting stronger,
Through pain and time.
Always going, always climbing,
Don't you stop, no matter what.
Keep looking up, keep moving on,
Don't go back to once was.

No comments:

Post a Comment