Monday, June 25, 2012

{EPS} Creative Writing - Journal #3

Prompt: Write a short story about me, Miss Kennedy, being attacked by a pair of strange, flying, black bugs.

The two black bugs zoomed out from behind the blinds suddenly. I had been trying to kill them all day, throwing three shoes, a remote control, a rolled up newspaper and even my purse at them as they flitted around the room, dancing a strange bug ballet in the air. I really thought I had killed them because they had become so quiet and I hadn't seen them for a half hour or so.

Without warning, I heard a loud buzz from behind the blinds, then one of the bugs escaped from one end while the other came up over the top. I was frozen in my chair for a moment that really felt like forever. When I came to my senses, though, I leaped from my chair, knocking over the glass of lemonade I had just poured for myself, sending the cat flying from fright, and then stumbling over one of the shoes I had thrown at the insect devils earlier that evening.

I screamed loudly as I ran to grab the nearest aerosol can, hoping whatever was in it would kill the bugs. I didn't bother to read what was in the can, just held down the button and aimed toward one of the bugs, releasing as much of the spray from inside as I could. I continued to scream as the targeted bug flew madly toward the ceiling, crashed, then dropped like a stone. I kept the stream coming from the can trained on the bug as it thrashed and scooted around the carpet.

Finally, it stilled, the final death throes of its little bug body shuddering a bit. Immediately I turned my attention to the second bug, my scream of fear turning into a hunter's cry of sorts. My first conquest gave rise to courage inside me as I climbed onto the ottoman, my trusty spray can pointed and at the ready. Movement in the corner of my eye made me turn to my right, and there was the second bug, hurtling through the air toward me. With a gutteral yell form deep in my chest, I depressed the spray button again, and a steady stream of my aerosol weapon hit the bug mid air, sending it hurtling back against the wall. Stunned, the bug fell to the floor, so I quickly bounded toward it.

As I moved toward the chair the bug fell behind, I felt something brush my cheek, and my scream of fear returned when I realized my buggy foe had escaped his temporary trap. I jumped backward, stepping on the cat's tail, which made him screech in pain and suprise. I couldn't take time to comfort him, though. I was out for bug's blood. I spun and chased the bug into a corner, a steady stream coming from the can. Finally, the bug drooped in flight, then hit the floor, barely able to move. I continued to spray, though, my can honed on my winged enemy, until all movement stopped.

Finally, I plopped onto the sofa, my eyes moving from one bug to the other, making sure they were both, in fact, dead. As my racing heart slowed its pace, I finally realized I had no idea to what I owed so much gratitude in helping me kill my prey. I lifted the can to eye level: Aqua Net.

No comments:

Post a Comment