Monday, June 18, 2012

{EPS} Creative Writing - Journal #1

This was my first journal assignment at Edgewood Prep School's Creative Writing Class. The topic: If I Ruled the World


I sit here all alone, staring at the telephone then sliding my gaze to the computer monitor before me. The headlines are bleak: "32 die in Car Bombing in Mogadishu"; "Riots break out in Madrid"; "Revolution in Iran leaves thousands dead".

"What have I gotten myself into?" I think. It seemed like a great idea, applying to rule the world. It's every kid's dream, really: All the money, ice cream and power you could want, right?

I didn't count on humanity, though. I didn't bank on the fact that whether under one ruler or a thousand, people are still people, and they will still fight. Wars will still happen. Blood will still be shed.

I lay my head down on my hands, laying on top of my desk, and feel tears come to my eyes. I take a deep breath, and then I pray.

I feel a bit of a peace come over me. I feel the answer to this problem become clear. No one person should rule the world.

I pick up my phone and quickly summon my staff. When they arrive in my office, I tell them of my plans...plans to appoint leaders who each have qualities that best suit their country.

"Is that the best way, though, Ma'am?" asks one advisor. "Should one person even have that much power? To choose who will rule?"

I turn from them to look out the window and sigh deeply. My mind reels with "What if"s and plans.

I know this is not a solution I will come to easily....

No comments:

Post a Comment